HeadBanger's Compound
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Serena Williams wins 16th straight match

Go down

Serena Williams wins 16th straight match Empty Serena Williams wins 16th straight match

Post by B-Girl May 7th 2008, 10:05 am

BERLIN (AP) -Serena Williams won her 16th straight match Tuesday, defeating Francesca Schiavone 6-2, 6-3 in the second round of the German Open.

The 20th-ranked Italian fought off repeated break chances throughout the second set before her forehand sailed long and Williams took a 4-2 lead.

The sixth-ranked Williams is chasing her fourth straight WTA title. Her last loss came in early February when Jelena Jankovic won in the Australian Open quarterfinals.

``I'm healthy. I'm focused. Tennis is my priority,'' Williams said. ``Everything is just coming together.''

Two other seeded players also advanced. No. 8 Marion Bartoli cruised past Lucie Safarova 6-0, 6-3, and No. 7 Elena Dementieva defeated Kateryna Bondarenko 6-1, 6-2.

In the first set, Williams had little trouble with Schiavone, leading 10-3 in winners during the opening games. But both players had trouble keeping the ball in the court. After settling down, Williams kept the pressure on Schiavone's serve.

Williams is looking for her first title at the clay-court event, a warmup for the French Open.

http://tennis.com/news/news.aspx?id=128662
B-Girl
B-Girl
n00b
n00b

Number of posts : 20
Registration date : 2008-05-05

Back to top Go down